Sweet Sedimentary Rock
Learn about sedimentary rock and the different layers of rock. Cave of the Mounds is within limestone rock. In one room we have an upside-down staircase feature that is a great way to show the layers of rock. However, sometimes you need more than just a visual. Rather you need to make a sedimentary rock with its layers of sediment, called strata, that have compacted together. In this activity, we will do just that! Make a delicious sedimentary rock.
You will need: 1 box of vanilla instant pudding, ½ small container of whipped topping, 1 ½ cups milk, 7oz sweetened condensed milk, ⅓ box of graham crackers, ½ can chocolate frosting, Clear container (like a take-out salad container or glass baking dish), Stirring spoon, Knife (for spreading), 1 large mixing bowl, 1 medium mixing bowl, 1 paper plate per person, 1 spoon or fork per person, Access to a refrigerator
- Mix milk and pudding together in a large bowl.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk. Fold in the whipped topping. Mix all the ingredients well.
- Divide the pudding mixture in half; leave half in a large bowl and put the other half in a medium bowl. Color each half with a different food coloring. Set aside.
- Cover the bottom of the clear container with whole graham crackers.
- Cover the graham cracker layer with the pudding mixture from one of the bowls and spread evenly.
- Place another whole layer of graham crackers on top of the pudding layer.
- Spread the other pudding mixture on top of the graham crackers and add one final layer of graham crackers.
- Spread the chocolate icing on the top layer of graham crackers.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour.