We are recruiting candidates for the following positions for the 2019 spring and summer seasons. Click on a position to find out more.
Welcome tourists and groups who come to Cave of the Mounds NNL
- Conduct safe, enjoyable, and educational tours
- Assist customers in the amazing rock and fossil shop
- Assist customers in the snack bar
- Help to maintain neat, clean and safe buildings and grounds
- Lead interpretive tours of the Cave that are safe, fun, and educational
- Tell the story of the Cave – its formation, growth, discovery, development, and protection – throughout all aspects of time
- Greet the public with a smile and helpful information so they will enjoy their visit to Cave of the Mounds National Natural Landmark
- Assist customers with the sale of merchandise and restock the amazing rock & fossil shop
- Serve customers at the seasonal snack bar in the Visitor Center
- Assist with the processing of merchandise including unpacking, marking, light manufacturing and storing
- Assist with the maintenance of the buildings and grounds through typical tasks and chores such as sweeping, mopping, trash removal, dusting, raking, etc.
Qualified Candidates will have:
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and a friendly manner
- A desire for interaction with the general public and public speaking
- Interest in the natural environment, nature appreciation, nature education
- Good conflict resolution skills and desire to work as a member of a team
- The desire to do a wide variety of tasks in the course of a workday
- You get to take people through a beautiful Cave!!
- Reciprocity with many awesome Wisconsin tourist attractions
- Super cool staff events such as fossil hunts, campfires, and barn movie nights
- Paid training and annual wage review
- The “coolest” job EVER!
Educational Group Program Guide
A successful Group Program Guide at Cave of the Mounds will be able to provide excellent customer service as they welcome group participants and adult leaders to the grounds, as well as conduct enjoyable, educational group programs & Cave tours. In addition, Group Program Guides will be able to manage a variety of tasks that include staffing the Cave gift shop, preparing for group arrivals and keeping the Cave buildings and grounds neat and clean.
• Present engaging educational group programs and Cave tours
• Knowledgeable of the story of the Cave: discovery, development, formations and continued growth
• Greet groups and communicate effectively with group leaders
• Interest in the protection and preservation of the Cave, as well as the promotion of cave conservation
• Assist with the set up and take down of group program areas
• Availability during the months of April, May, early June, September, October, & early November
• Know and understand the rules and policies outlined in the Tour Guide Manual
• Assist customers in the gift shop answering questions and with the sale of merchandise
• Assist with the maintenance of the buildings and grounds including sweeping, dusting, vacuuming, litter and trash removal, raking, cleaning restrooms, etc., as needed
• Assist with the processing of gift shop merchandise including unpacking, marking, storing and manufacturing of merchandise, as needed
• Strong communication and presentation skills
• Enjoy speaking in front of large, diverse groups
• Interest in educating children and adults about the natural environment
• Good conflict resolution/problem solving skills
• Desire to develop a positive customer service ethic
• Enjoy doing a wide variety of tasks necessary for a successful small business
Gardens and Grounds Crew
Cave of the Mounds, National Natural Landmark is now hiring outgoing, educated and dynamic people just like you to join our 2018 outdoor gardens and grounds crew. If you enjoy working outdoors, we have the job for you!
We have a variety of rock, perennial, annual, prairie and savanna gardens composed of many plant types. We combine cultivars with native perennials as well as annuals, bulbs, trees and shrubs. The variety of plantings creates the varied and beautiful landscape you see on our grounds.
Our mission at Cave of the Mounds, National Natural Landmark is to provide our visitors with an enhanced appreciation and understanding of our natural environment while protecting and conserving that resource both above and below ground. Our landscaping reflects those values. We combine perennial gardening with native plant restoration to create a beautiful, peaceful and interesting landscape. Now you can join the team that makes this possible.
Janitor - General Cleaner
Cave of the Mounds, National Natural Landmark is looking for an energetic candidate to join our facilities team in Blue Mounds, Wisconsin. We currently have an immediate opening for a part-time Janitor / General Cleaner. The duties of a Janitor / General Cleaner include but are not limited to the following:
• Clean and replenish public restrooms and staff restroom
• Empty trash and recycle bins
• Vacuum public areas and offices
• Clean windows, glass shelves and mirrors
• Dust and de-cobweb furniture, walls, and equipment in all public and behind the scenes areas
• Mop and wax floors
• Clean kitchen and shine stainless and clean refrigeration units
• Set up, arrange, and remove decorations, tables and chairs to prepare facilities for events
• Clean and polish furniture and fixtures
• Clean interior and exterior of company vehicles including van and truck
• Move heavy furniture, equipment, and supplies, either manually or by using hand trucks.
• Clear debris from grounds.
• Notify managers concerning the need for cleaning equipment or supplies and the need for minor or major repairs.
• Requisition and/or request supplies and equipment needed for cleaning duties.
• Prepare cleaning solutions, according to specifications and understand how to read MSDS sheets
• Wear proper PPE when working with chemicals
• Follow procedures for the use of chemical cleaners and power equipment, in order to prevent damage to floors and fixtures
Physical Functions Required
• Ability to walk or stand for prolonged periods.
• Requires bending, stooping, reaching up, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
• Possible exposure to chemicals requiring special clothing or safety equipment.
• Ability to use motorized equipment.
• Ability to read and comprehend safety material and facility required documents.