Learn About Cave of the Mounds
- Dress for the current outdoor weather conditions as well as the 50° Cave and plan to enjoy our beautiful nature trails and outdoor activities while onsite.
- A limited number of Cave tickets per hour are issued in order to help maintain social distancing. You may have a wait time outdoors prior to your cave entry.
- Cave entries are limited to one household at a time in accordance with Dane County’s mandate to allow for proper social distancing
- Due to COVID-19, our building capacities are monitored and enforced for the safety of our staff and guests.
- If there is a wait time for your cave experience and you do not wish to be outside, you may prefer to wait in your car. Our parking lot is close by and all parking is free.
- Masks are required inside the buildings and inside the cave at all times with NO exceptions. If you are unable to wear a mask due to health condition, we have these alternative options for you. [Our Covid Policy Link Here]
Something Old Below Ground
Over millions of years ago, deep beneath the ground, Cave of the Mounds began to form. Water gradually
dissolved the rock to create this magical underground world. Guided tours take you past a varied
collection of colorful stalactites, stalagmites, columns and other crystal formations. Our experienced
guides will delight you with tales of the history, science and imagery of the various caverns and
passageways you walk through.
Something New Above Ground
The experience doesn’t stop below ground. Above ground, visitors to the Cave will find an array of
activities to keep young and old alike entertained. Visit one of the most unique shops around – Our Rock
Shop contains hundreds of unique minerals, fossils and gemstones.
Fill your pockets with treasure at our Gem Mining Sluice.
Or wander our rock gardens, perennial gardens, woodland restoration, and nature trails.